I’m so excited to be working again with the Soldier Hollow Classic International Sheepdog Trial Championship! I attended last year and had an amazing girl’s weekend with my mom in beautiful Heber Valley. This year I plan to take my family because there is SO much fun stuff for kids to do, too! Plus, we’re going to give away FOUR 4-Packs of tickets!
This year, the championships are scheduled for September 2-5 (Labor Day weekend) at the Soldier Hollow Resort in Midway. The four-day competition is the world’s foremost annual sheepdog trial, with a total winning purse of $30,000. Renowned competitors from across the United States and as far afield as Scotland will be tested against Utah’s Rocky Mountain wild-range sheep on a challenging mountain course.
How cool that something like this happens right here in Utah!
In addition to the competition, where lightning-fast Border Collies will obey commands of their handlers via whistles and calls from up to 400 yards away, there’s plenty of entertainment planned for the entire family:
- High Flying Splash Dogs
- K9 Kings Acrobatic Dog Show
- Wild Wonders Wild & Exotic Animal Show
- Earthwings Raptor Show
- Navajo Rug Show and Weaving Demo
- Sheepdog Training Demonstrations
- IFA Backyard Festival
- Camp Chef Outdoor Cooking Pavillion
Tips and Tricks to having a great time:
- You might want to bring along your own chair. There is bleacher seating, but there is plenty of room also for lawn chairs or even blankets so you can watch the sheepdogs on the hillside.
- Watch the weather. It was quite warm last year, and we needed sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses. But it can also get chilly fast in the mountains, so you might want to bring along a sweater or jacket.
- Check the schedule for all the different events so you don’t miss your favorites. There are several different competitions on the hillside, but also more events including splash dogs, acrobatic dogs, and much more throughout Soldier Hollow.
- If you have little ones, consider wearing a baby wrap or bring a stroller. There is a fair amount of walking from the parking area to the viewing area.
- Make sure you check out the food vendors. We enjoyed several yummy meals there last year!
- Just a reminder: Spectators dogs are not allowed. Service dogs are welcomed.
To enter, just leave a comment below and fill out the Rafflecopter! Giveaway will end on Tuesday, August 30.