I wish I could claim this awesome DIY gift idea as my own, but really I found the idea on Pinterest! Nonetheless, I think it is a super good idea for a nice, meaningful gift that only costs a few dollars!
Here’s how I made a photo coaster for my husband:
- A Photo
- Mod Podge – I checked with my local Walmart and they carry Mod Podge for $6.97 for a 16 oz bottle – however, you will only need just a little bit, so if you can find an 8 oz bottle – you may want to grab that.
- Felt Protectors – I got a package of twelve for only $1 at DollarTree
- A Tile – I found lots of different styles and choices at Home Depot. The tile I chose (shown above) comes in a package of nine for $3.97 (making them $0.44 each).
- A Paintbrush
1. First, cut the size of your photo to the size of the tile.
2. Next, round the edges of the photo.
3. Then, using Mod Podge, glue the photo to the back of the tile.
4. Next, Mod Podge one layer over the top and edges of the photo to help protect the photo and to keep the edges attached to the tile. The Mod Podge will appear streaky – don’t worry though – when it dries you will no longer see the streaks. If you attempt to smooth the streaks away or add more Mod Podge before it dries, it may ruin the photo or make it bubble.
5. After it has dried, add one more thin layer of Mod Podge and let it dry.
6. Add the felt protectors to the backside of the tile.
And you’re finished!
Then make the other photo coasters for the set, stack together, and tie with a ribbon! What a nice gift!